Even though tropical race 4 (TR4) has been detected in only one farm in Australia's north Queensland, it is also affecting the other banana growers. Besides changing the way they grow bananas, it has also had social and psychological impacts. Last August, ABC Rural talked to a Tully Valley farmer who explained how it had changed the way neighbours socialize with each other. More recently, CSIRO researcher Matt Curnock told ABC Rural that a survey of 600 banana farmers and other people affected by the situation revealed high levels of stress among a quarter of the respondents. The results of the survey, which also showed low levels of awareness in some parts of the community, will be used to write a public report on community well-being issues and plan future interventions.
- 'Goldfinger' given a second chance in Australia
- Managing risks on TR4 affected lands and other biosecurity news from Australia
- Independent review of Biosecurity Queensland's TR4 programme
- Fruit certification for TR4-infested farms in Australia
- Third case of TR4 in Queensland, Australia